Weekly Feature



2010-10-21 / Editorial

Out of the Past

100 Years Ago

Oct. 20, 1910

OPEN FOR BUSINESS — George J. Wendel opened his new store on West Main Street, corner of Aurora Street, with a new stock of picture frames and is prepared to do framing to order, as well as undertaking and embalming.

HIGHER EDUCATION — Howard Zurbrick was studying a business college course in Buffalo.

DOUBLE THE JOY — Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Hartzold were the proud parents of twins born Oct. 16.

WEDDING — Miss Sarah Coatsworth of Forks was married to Harvey H. Bissell of East Lancaster at the home of the bride.

75 Years Ago

Oct. 17, 1935

NEW EATERY — Irving Walz of West Drullard Avenue opened a restaurant at 34 Central Ave. The building was recently vacated by the Lancaster Fruit Store.

TOP DOG — In competition with some of the best springer spaniels in the United States, Lady Bird, a dog owned by Fred Shaffer of Church Street, captured first honors in the all-age stake event.

MAKING HISTORY — Mrs. Freda Dickman Cook was named village attorney to succeed the late Levant D. Lester. She was the first female attorney in the history of the village.

65 Years Ago

Oct. 18, 1945

PREPARING — The Moose and the Elks Lodge each purchased two oxygen tanks and carrying cases for the village emergency squad.

WELCOMED BACK — Victor A. Ott, honorably discharged from the U.S. Navy, was unanimously re-instated as patrolman in the Police Department.

FINALLY — Lancaster High defeated East Aurora, 26-7, for the first time in eight years.

50 Years Ago

Oct. 20, 1960

CONSOLIDATING EFFORTS — About 200 volunteers were preparing to call the homes in town to explain the new United Fund to homemakers. Workers planned to stress the fact that the United Fund embraces a total program of health, welfare and character-building services including heart, cancer and muscular diseases. Properly supported, the fund should consolidate all of the separate drives into one solicitation each year.

RIVALRY — Town police discovered six Depew High lads preparing to raise a Depew banner on the Lancaster High flagpole during Lancaster-Depew Week. They also had a can of grease that they planned to use on the pole. Officer James Quiram took the grease and sent the boys on with a stern warning.

35 Years Ago

Oct. 16, 1975

NO RELATION — Dr. and Mrs. Harry Depew of San Diego recently stopped by to visit the village that bears their name. The couple, which claims no ties to the village’s founder, was in the area to visit Niagara Falls.

MILESTONE — Celebrating the 200th birthday of the U.S. Navy, officials of Depew and Lancaster got together to proclaim “Navy Day” in their communities.

25 Years Ago

Oct. 17, 1985

EXAMPLE — The Lancaster School District has expressed its dismay with a proposal to use school taxes as the only example to explain the new method of assessment to taxpayers. School Board President Edward Carlsen felt that the county should not single out school districts, but explain how the change will affect all taxes.

SPECIAL DESIGNATION — The Lancaster Planning Commission held a special meeting to discuss making part of the village around Broadway and Central Avenue a historical preservation area.

Do you have a photograph or memory of the Lancaster/Depew area you would like to share with Bee readers? Send it to “Out of the Past,” Lancaster/Depew Bee, 5564 Main St., Buffalo, NY 14221.

Return to top