Weekly Feature



2017-12-07 / Editorial

Out of the Past


REFRESHMENTS — Voegele’s Bottling Works, pictured, operated on West Main Street in Lancaster from 1892 to 1969. The business was founded by Joseph Voegele Sr., manufacturing soft drinks and alcoholic beverages before Prohibition, birch beer being among the the company’s most popular drinks. 
Photo from “Lancaster Memories: A Pictorial History”and courtesy of Mary Jo Monnin and Dick Young. REFRESHMENTS — Voegele’s Bottling Works, pictured, operated on West Main Street in Lancaster from 1892 to 1969. The business was founded by Joseph Voegele Sr., manufacturing soft drinks and alcoholic beverages before Prohibition, birch beer being among the the company’s most popular drinks. Photo from “Lancaster Memories: A Pictorial History”and courtesy of Mary Jo Monnin and Dick Young. 125 Years Ago
Dec. 8, 1892

• Some pilfering individual broke a pane of glass in Mr. Andrew Koch’s jewelry store Tuesday night and stole a valuable clock.

• Mr. Frank Weinman, who has been seriously ill with typhoid fever, is recovering slowly. He is under the care of Dr. J.G. Miller.

• The teachers in our public school are taking their turn as scholars this week at Alden, where the teachers’ institute is being held.

• A New York syndicate has bought the H. Zuidema, E.W. Chapman and Jacob Snyder farms at East Lancaster. The three farms contain about 400 acres and are bounded on the north by Ellicott Road, on the east by Winspear Road, on the south by the D., L., & W. railroad and on the west by the Cemetery Road. We understand the price paid was $300 per acre. The land will be used for manufacturing purposes.

• The Vose Car Spring Company, of which Mr. Palmer of New York is the head, has taken title to five acres of land on the Ellicott Road, adjoining the National Car Wheel Works. Work will begin on a new brick factory at once. The concern will employ 150 men. It was one of the first to contemplate locating adjacent to the Central shops, but arrangements to that end were not completed till an abundant supply of water for Depew became an assured fact.

• The construction of a cast steel plant at Depew will begin early in the spring, 15 acres of land having been secured for the purpose.

Return to top