Weekly Feature

13p1.jpg
Photo from“LancasterMemories: APictorial History”and courtesy ofMary Jo Monninand Dick Young
MAKING CONNECTIONS — Solon Bruce, left, presides over switchboard operators at the New York Telephone Company’s Lancaster location. The first telephone lines were built in 1896 by Bell Telephone Company, and by 1905 there were about 200 telephones operating in Lancaster. By 1915, five years after the New York Telephone Company took over, that number jumped to 955 phones, reaching 2,500 by 1945. 13p1.jpg